- Parents and guardians are asked to schedule medical and dental appointments during non-school hours and days when possible. If an absence during the school day cannot be avoided for a personal appointment, students should attend school leading up to his/her appointment and should be brought back to school following his/her appointment.
- In the event of a 1-2 day absence, parents and guardians must either bring a signed note to the office, send a school email to email@example.com, or call the attendance hotline at 720-424-2451. A parent or guardian should include the following information in their communication to the school: Child’s Name, Child’s ID number (if you have it), Child’s date of birth, Reason for the Absence, and the Dates and Times to excuse the child.
- In the event of an Illness or Medical issue lasting 3 or more days, the parent/guardian must have a doctor’s note to excuse the absence. At this time, our school nurse (Sara Worley) will be notified to follow up with the family to see how she can support the child’s health and wellness on behalf of the school. Absences for illness exceeding 3 days in a given month will not be excused unless a note from a medical provider is provided. We will make a note in the attendance record the reason, but it will remain unexcused.Any family who needs help accessing a medical provider, may complete paperwork to allow their child access to one of our many Denver Health clinics in Denver Public Schools. Paperwork can be provided to you by our nurse firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on School Based Health Clinics can be found at https://www.denverhealth.org/services/school-based-health-centers.
- In the event of an extended absence for some unforeseen reason or family emergency, a parent or guardian must seek prior approval from the Principal. This can be done in person or in writing.
NEC and DPS Attendance Policy
Common Terms or General Information –
- Excused absences can be those resulting from temporary illness or injury, physical, mental, or emotional condition, religious observance, absences which occur when a student is in custody of a court or of a law enforcement authority, and any other absence that has received prior approval by the Principal.
- Absences due to suspension or recommendation of expulsion will be considered excused.
- Truancy- If a student is absent without an excuse signed or communicated directly to applicable school personnel (email@example.com) by the parent/guardian or if the student leaves school or a class without permission of the teacher or administrator in charge, the student shall be considered truant. A “habitual truant” shall be defined as a student of compulsory attendance age who has four total days of unexcused absences from school in any one month or 10 total days of unexcused absences during any school year. Absences due to suspension or expulsion shall not be counted in the total of unexcused absences for purposes of defining a student as a “habitual truant.”
NEC School Policy for Signing Out a Student
- Parents and guardians must present identification to main office personnel to show that you are authorized to sign out a child. This is to ensure the safety of the student.